In today’s post, we will focus on essential behaviors that impact oral health. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two important habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to maintain a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is required for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do enjoy calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are dangerous to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar triggers the production of harmful cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to tooth decay.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This accelerates plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can chip teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are harmful to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is smarter to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, talk to Dr. West about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your youth fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder – seek professional help without delay. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that advances dental health as well as overall physical health. At Gordon West DDS, Cosmetic & General Dentistry, we serve the Lafayette area with exceptional dental care including general and cosmetic dentistry. Ask us about sedation dentistry, prepless veneers, dental crowns and Invisalign clear braces.
Contact Gordon West DDS, Cosmetic & General Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
1140 W South Boulder Rd Ste 201