Do you worry about your smile because of a missing tooth? Dental implants are a great way to replace missing teeth, thanks to advances in implant dentistry. We use restorations with materials that look and act like tooth enamel, so the dental implant blends in beautifully with your natural teeth.
The Dental Implant Procedure at Boulder County Smiles
The process of receiving dental implants happens as follows:
- After Dr. Johns or Dr. West evaluates whether you are a candidate for dental implants, we take an impression of both the upper and lower arches of your teeth, which we send to a dental lab for casting.
- The casts are used by the dental lab to design a tooth that looks and feels great.
- A scanning appliance is created by the lab and returned to your dentist, who checks the scanning appliance for proper fit.
- We take a CT scan of your mouth to guide our planning process.
- Information from the CT scan is uploaded to specialized software that is designed to precisely identify the optimal position for the dental implants.
- Each finished surgical appliance is completed by the lab and returned to Dr. West or Dr. Johns, who will then place the implant post.
- The implant posts are then able to bond to porcelain dental crowns that look and act like natural teeth.
In a few visits to our Lafayette, CO dental office, you can have a dental implant placed and restored. The process includes the placement of a titanium post in the jawbone to provide an anchor for the replacement tooth.
This post encourages bone growth, which gives strength and stability to the dental implant. This option helps your replacement look and act like a natural tooth.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants consist of two components: a post that is placed in the jaw bone and a prosthetic tooth at the top. The post of the dental implant is usually made from titanium or a titanium alloy.
Through a process called “osseointegration,” the bone actually fuses with the dental implant over a few months, creating a strong and stable anchor for the tooth.
The prosthetic tooth is attached to the dental implant after a few months of healing time has passed and the new “root” has stabilized. Each replacement dental crown is color-matched to blend in with your natural teeth.
Dental implants restore your ability to eat, bite, and chew again, so you can get back to your normal lifestyle.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are a complete tooth replacement, from root to crown. There are numerous benefits associated with this replacement option, which boasts a 90-98% success rate! Find out more about the benefits that implant dentistry can offer you!
- Lasts longer | A dental bridge might last 7-12 years, but a dental implant can last much longer, often for the rest of your life.
- No getting used to | Dental implants feel more natural than other restorative options.
- More natural | Dental implants act like natural teeth thanks to their stability, so you can eat your favorite foods without worry.
- Bone health | Implant dentistry keeps your jaw from losing bone density, which means your facial appearance stays intact after you lose a tooth.
- Easy maintenance | Your dental implant can stay beautiful through normal brushing and flossing.
- Seamless | A dental implant doesn’t negatively affect the surrounding teeth.
- Improved function | Implant dentistry can also secure a removable denture for better function and comfort.
Implant dentistry can restore your stunning smile! We have both Dr. Johns and Dr. West on staff to help replace your missing teeth through this exciting option.
Dental Implant FAQ
Find Out Whether You’re a Candidate for Dental Implants
To learn more about our dental implants, please give Dr. West or Dr. Johns a call at our Lafayette, CO dentist office near Boulder. You can also visit our dental implants website today!