If you are considering wire and bracket braces, have recently had bracket braces applied, or wear a teeth retainer, you may have quite a few questions. Read on for the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions.
Will My Braces Hurt?
When you first get your bracket braces, your teeth and mouth may feel a little sore. This is due to the pressure being applied to your teeth, and it is perfectly normal.
It is also not uncommon for your lips, cheeks, and tongue to become slightly irritated for one to two weeks as they become used to the braces. There are many types of braces wax or coverings that can help with braces pain.
It may also help to dissolve one teaspoon of salt in eight ounces of lukewarm water. Then swish and gargle this solution in your mouth for a few minutes. NOTE: Do not swallow the saltwater.
We promise that your mouth will not be sore forever! However, if you begin to experience any braces pain that is more severe than minor irritation or soreness, contact us right away.
What Can I Eat While Wearing Braces?
Braces do have a few food requirements that you’ll want to keep in mind in order to keep your braces functional and your teeth clean.
Try to avoid:
- Chewy foods such as licorice or taffy.
- Crunchy foods like popcorn, chips, or ice.
- Sticky foods like caramel or chewing gum.
- Hard foods such as nuts and hard candies.
- Large foods that need to be bitten, such as corn on the cob and whole apples.
Foods that are ok:
- Dairy, like soft cheeses and pudding.
- Breads that are soft, like tortillas, pancakes, and muffins without nuts.
- Grains such as pasta and cooked rice.
- Meats/poultry, including soft-cooked chicken, meatballs, or lunch meats.
- Seafoods like tuna and salmon.
- Vegetables, as long as they are soft, such as mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, or beans.
- Fruits like applesauce, bananas, and fruit juice.
- Treats are still okay, as long as they are soft, like ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, or cake.
If you are wearing a teeth retainer, this device can usually be removed to help you eat any of the foods you enjoy. If your teeth retainer cannot be removed due to your dental health needs, then we will discuss how best to protect your orthodontic device.
What Do I Do If My Teeth Feel Loose?
This is entirely normal. Your braces must first loosen your teeth before they can move into the right position. The looseness is not permanent.
What Do I Do If My Wires or Bands Come Loose?
This does sometimes happen. If it does, contact us as soon as possible so that we can repair your appliance. If any piece of your appliance comes off, be sure to save it and bring it to the office with you.
In the meantime, you can temporarily fix the loose wire by using the back of a spoon or the eraser end of a pencil to carefully and gently push the wire back into place. If the loose wire is causing any irritation, put wax or a wet cotton ball over the broken wire to prevent it from damaging your mouth.
Can I Play Sports with Wire and Bracket Braces?
Yes! You can still play sports even while undergoing orthodontic treatment. We recommend wearing a properly-fitted mouthguard if you do, both to protect your braces, and to prevent them from injuring you.
Contact Us With Any Further Questions
Boulder County Smiles stands ready to help you through your braces journey. If you have any other questions or concerns, or if you are experiencing any kind of braces pain, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’ll gladly guide you through whatever you need.