Indications for Dental Implants
Although most people start losing permanent teeth when they get older, dental implants can be appropriate for replacing a missing tooth or teeth at any age. People can lose teeth due to severe decay, injury, or accident.
Dental implants are typically used in the following situations:
- To replace one or more missing teeth.
- To provide support for a non-removable “bridge” to replace multiple teeth.
- To provide support for a full or partial denture.
Reasons to Get Dental Implants
Dental implants should not be used in some patients, especially patients with low bone density or poor health. Although there are some restrictions with regard to candidacy, most individuals with the following health concerns may still be candidates for implant dentistry:
- Bone loss. Loss of bone tissue is common in individuals with missing teeth or periodontal disease. If the jaw hasn’t lost too much bone density, dental implants can still permanently integrate with the remaining bone. In more extreme cases, we can consider bone grafting to provide the needed support for dental implant restoration.
- Existing dental work. Implant dentistry can replace dental bridges that aren’t permanent. Implants can also be used to stabilize dentures, providing comfort and stability with no slipping or sliding.
- Existing medical conditions. Although our patients with chronic conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure may require extra precautions, most of our patients who can have routine dental treatment done can generally have dental implants placed.
- Gum disease. Implant dentistry has proven successful for many of our patients who have lost teeth due to periodontal disease.
- Smoking. Smoking often lowers the success rate of implant dentistry. A consultation with Dr. Johns or Dr. West in the Lafayette, Colorado area can help us determine whether a smoker might still be a viable candidate for dental implants.
This information provides a good guideline for determining candidacy, but we still prefer to evaluate patients on a case-by-case basis. If you are interested in dental implants, we will carefully evaluate your health to determine if you are a good candidate for this procedure.
Call Us Today!
Call us at our Boulder county dentist office today to schedule a consultation if you are in the Boulder or Lafayette area. For more information about dental implants, please visit our dental implants website!