“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Benjamin Franklin coined that phrase in the 1730s as advice for fire safety. But like all timeless quotes, it applies to many more features of modern life, particularly dental health, one of our principal concerns at Boulder County Smiles in Lafayette CO.
Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Some important guidelines are highlighted here.
- Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA approved toothpaste and toothbrush.
- Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy too.
- Wear a protective mouthguard when participating in an activity where your mouth could possibly be damaged.
- Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
- Avoid piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth that someone decided you should shove a metal bar through. Piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection and nerve damage. It’s a dicey fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
- Stay away from snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
- Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
At Boulder County Smiles in Lafayette CO, helping our patients establish good habits is important. Our services include general and family dentistry, and specialties like dental implants and sleep apnea treatment. Schedule an appointment with us today.
Contact Gordon West DDS – Aesthetic & General Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):