Our teeth work hard and are continuously under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Unfortunately, enamel erosion is extremely prevalent, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal problems, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Gordon West DDS – Aesthetic & General Dentistry, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt further erosion if some has already developed.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11132512
3. Vigorous brushing can damage enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as detrimental as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to halt additional erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call Gordon West DDS – Aesthetic & General Dentistry today at 720-862-3630 to schedule an examination. Dr. West will give you counsel on the best dental treatments for enamel erosion.