1. Which of the following are risk factors for gum disease (periodontitis)?
d. Genetic make-up
2. Which of the items below are possible signs of gum disease?
a. Teeth that appear to be longer
b. A change in the way dentures fit
c. Bleeding gums
d. Swollen gums
3. Which of the items below are possible health issues linked to untreated gum disease?
b. Low birth weight babies
c. Parkinson’s disease
4. What percentage of individuals age 65+ have gum disease?
5. Which of the following procedures are used for gum disease?
a. Scaling and root planing
b. Soft tissue grafts
c. Flap surgery
d. Flip surgery
1. All of the above. Pregnancy, menopause, or any other condition that causes hormonal changes is a risk factor as is any type of malocclusion.
2. All of the above. Note: some patients don’t see any symptoms.
Hi, I’m Dr. West of Gordon West DDS – Aesthetic & General Dentistry in Lafayette. Gum disease usually responds successfully to treatment—especially if caught early. If you haven’t seen a dentist in a while, or have been noticing problems with your gums or teeth, I invite you to call 303-665-5335 today to schedule an appointment.
John Donavan, “5 Things You Didn’t Know About Your Teeth,” WebMD, December 15, 2015, http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-your-teeth#3, accessed March 20, 2017
“Periodontal (Gum) Disease: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments,” National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, https://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Topics/GumDiseases/PeriodontalGumDisease.htm, accessed March 20, 2017
“Diseases and Conditions Periodontitis,” Mayo Clinic, February 4, 2014, http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/periodontitis/basics/risk-factors/con-20021679, accessed March 20, 2017
Contact Gordon West DDS – Aesthetic & General Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
1140 W South Boulder Rd Ste 201