Periodontal disease is inflammation or infection of the gums. For the most part it is preventable. Also known as gum disease, this condition is so common in the United States that it has been called a health crisis. At Boulder County Smiles in Lafayette CO, we provide effective gum disease treatment.
Here are five important things to know about gum disease.
- If left untreated, it can cause irreversible damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing proper oral hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best way to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of tooth decay.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease produces no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for gum disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
Preventing gum disease is just another reason to see us every six months at Boulder County Smiles in Lafayette CO. We provide a full range of services, including dental implants and sedation dentistry. Schedule an appointment with us today.
Contact Gordon West DDS – Aesthetic & General Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):