Did you know that advanced gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss among adults? Since braces make oral hygiene a bit more complicated, orthodontic patients need to be extra vigilant about keeping their teeth and gums healthy to prevent gum disease. At Boulder County Smiles in Lafayette CO we have some very definite thoughts on life with braces.
Here are some simple ways to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Brush for two to three minutes, at least twice a day, with fluoridated toothpaste. Be sure to brush along the gumline. Scrub away the fragments of food. Don’t brush too hard, but be thorough.
- Floss daily to remove plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach. Don’t like to floss? Try a floss holder, which makes it far less complicated to insert floss between teeth.
- Using a mouth rinse can slow plaque accumulation and keep your enamel strong. Remember that fluoride mouth rinses are not the same as mouthwashes. This is a supplement to brushing and flossing, not a substitute.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Give up cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, which may lead to gum disease or oral cancer. Avoid e-cigs and vaping, too.
- Certain medications can also threaten a healthy mouth. These include oral contraceptives, antidepressants and heart medicines.
- Exercise preventive care and schedule regular exams — the ideal way to detect early signs of gum disease and make a plan to reverse it.
- Ask us about dental health topics such as old, broken fillings or damaged teeth.
- 9 If you grind your teeth, talk with us about ways to protect them.
With proper dental care during orthodontic treatment, you can prevent gum disease and tooth decay. When the braces finally come off, you will have the beautiful smile you deserve!
At Boulder County Smiles in Lafayette CO we have more insight to life with braces. Don’t hesitate to bring questions to your next appointment. People from Boulder, Louisville, and Broomfield also come to us for general and family dentistry. Schedule a checkup with us today!